The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Sajid Javid, has recommended approval of the merger of Poole, Bournemouth and Christchurch.
The Poole Conservative group welcomes the announcement.
The advantages of the merger are overwhelming:
- Economies gained from joint working can achieve savings of £28 million
- The change will sustain and improve our vital public services with new ways of working
- The urban region can achieve City status and raise its prestige
- Council tax will be harmonized over 7 years at a rate below the national cap (maximum rise of 1.99% p.a.)
- The region will require a significantly reduced number of Councillors
- The new Local Authority will carry more political weight both in Westminster and in the South West region
- A motion passed by Council during 2016 will ensure continuing protection for Poole's unique history and heritage
- A recent survey showed that the people of Poole were overwhelmingly in favour of the proposal.