Elaine was first elected as Councillor in 1995 and was been Leader of the Council from 2010 to 2015. She has served in most areas of council services, with portfolio responsibilities including social services, health, housing and communities, culture and community learning. Among other achievements, she helped reconfigure day services for people with disabilities, achieved a refuge and community based domestic violence service in Poole, and oversaw the building and opening of Poole’s iconic Twin Sails Bridge in 2012.
Elaine is Leader of the Council and Portfolio Holder with responsibility for the Council’s Budget and Financial Services, Communications, PR and Customer Services, Strategic Directorate, Partnerships, Local Enterprise Partnership, and revenues and benefits, including council tax and national non-domestic rates. She works on numerous committees, working parties, panels, and partnership boards.
Elaine’s pledges for Poole:
- To maintain a diverse balanced economy for our young people to live and work in the future
- To accommodate Poole’s rapidly increasing elderly and retired population
- To provide high quality services in an effective and economic way
- To encourage inward investment to Poole, bringing world class business and jobs to meet the needs of future generations, at the same time as reflecting Poole’s rich maritime history
- To champion partnership working so that all sectors work together to match local skills with the needs of business